Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Goal...

Have you ever wondered if you make a difference? I mean we all make some difference just by living our lives and being around...that whole systems theory thing...everything has an affect and effect on everything else...the It's A Wonderful Life thing...the ripples in a pond theory...



I mean really...truly....strongly...passionately...tenaciously...make a difference to people...someone...do you create a lasting and reverberating impact?



Who has made a lasting impact on you?



Many people have greatly impacted me through the course of my life. My father was my hero...and in many ways still is. He was an excellent example of how to be a man, father, provider, husband. Of course he had his flaws...he was very much the authoritarian and had very strict boundaries and a quick and hot temper. There were many times I remember being scared and feeling like I did not want to let him down. But he was a hard worker and that included working to be a good father.



I am now older than he lived to be. He was 39 when he passed in a car accident on his way home. One mistake...one bad choice...and it was all over...his story...his life...my mentor.



I am forever amazed at how hard he worked and at how much time he made for my brother and I. He was accomplished in several things and always found time for us. He was always busy...but always there for us. It will forever amaze me when I see people reaching for lofty goals such as people becoming a good spouse or a good parent, and then achieving it.


I still marvel at the way some people are able to be so together in their lives. Even on a good day I find myself tracking less than I desire for myself to be as a parent, as a husband, as a professional, as an individual. Infinitely human and vulnerable to human frailties. I am strong...I am not weak...but I am human.


So with looking at my mentor...and other mentors I have had in my life...I then ask myself...am I leaving a legacy of impacting...truly impacting others? I sure hope so. I am trying. I know sometimes...I fall shy of my goal...but I sure hope when everything is said and done...that I can look back and feel good about the trail I have left behind.


I hope that whatever good I am as an example to others in my life...great or small...I can improve and grow the good...grow the impact...reach for greater heights. I pray that someday...I have made a difference...for someone...somewhere...for the greater good.


Make the world a better place...to live and love in...and maybe...just maybe...our children will pick up that torch...and carry it forward to the next generation...and the world will be a better place....for us having been in it for awhile...

2 comments:

Whimsy said...

Doc,

I can't even adequately express in words how connected I feel with your description of your dad. My dad was of the same cloth.

Every day I try to take the best parts of what my dad had to teach, you know some of his methods were not the best so I try to look at the outcome of his teachings, the true meanings. That is where the meat is, and his greatest gift to me.

My kids mean everything, my greatest challenge is to make a prfound positive influence on my children. Maybe give them a leg up on the others, provide them with opportunities I may have missed.

I owe that to them, I brought them into this world and it is my job, and privilege to prepare them for a life on their own. Success in my mind is not measured monatarily, it is measured on their relationships, their contribution to the world we live in, how comfortable they are with themselves. My hope is that they recognize their self worth, their actual self is wonderful.

Anyway, sing it brotherman, I love to know there are others who feel similar to me.

Thomas (& Laura) Hodge said...

You knew one of my greatest influences - Mom. Another was her husband.

I learned so much from them - how to behave, how to be courteous, how to be responsible. I also learned how to not behave - especially in ways I interact with my husband publicly.

The most important thing I think I learned from them has to do with love. Specifically God's adoptive love for us.

My grandparents adopted me - which has led to its own set of challenges - but I had the opportunity to tell Mom before she died how she and Dad exemplified God's love for us - and if I thought it was so good here on earth, how could it be anything other than GRAND and GREAT when we get to meet God?!!!

Thanks, Doc!