Friday, August 8, 2008

Warning...possible vapidity up ahead \;')E)

This is in answer to the comment left on my last post.

Two things.

One:
What's wrong with think is, think is how anxiety is created. Think is how depression is created. Think is how we lose focus on those things that are most important to us. Think leads to over-think and over-think leads to problems...and at times major problems.

This is not to say one should not think...I am not saying that...suffice it to say that thinking is also...as with everything in life...something that one can do too much of and over-thinking can become problematic. Also, as I said in the last blog, thinking overwhelms the space inside us.

Picture...the night sky on a clear night...and of the vastness of that space...but we do not really see that space because we are busy looking at the stars...however because of our infinitely limited perception...we do not perceive the vastness of the space in between them. Because we are somewhat intelligent...we have been successful at creating neat little tricks through gadgets we've invented, to get a glimpse at how the universe might work in reality...but to the naked eye...we do not perceive the vastness of space...we see the foreground which is all the stars that we can actually see.

The same can be said for our lives and our ways of being. There is infinite vastness in space within us, space containing our peace, solitude, and serenity. But to get to that place and perceive the space, we need to shut the hell up.

So...instead of trying to critique the idea...because this is more than an idea...it is our reality...why not try to "DO" what I am describing? Find your space. Sit for 2:00 minutes....heck...try 30 seconds...and not...think. Make yourself....quiet. On the inside.

Unless you have a long vast experience with meditation and mindfulness training...chances are you will not be able to do this. Not without a lot of practice.

Two:
Personal growth is about forward movement. A lack of forward movement equals personal stagnation, therefore personal growth or forward movement is the antithesis of stagnation.

I don't know about anyone else...but I do not want to be stagnant. Being stagnant to me equals being closed, closed minded, and inflexible. As anyone would know from my profile...I like yoga...which means I like to be bendy...thus I do not want or like to be inflexible. This would mean physically, emotionally, spiritually, as well as mentally. Closed mind=closed heart=closed life=no life. Not for me...as for myself...I will choose pushing forward and learning...which all in all...is what personal growth is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do appreciate your abiding effort to clarify problems associated to thought. And defining Personal Growth: as the opposite of stagnation and it really being about a relationship to forward movement. Others less mindful might have responded with feelings of defensiveness. And I understand how my observations can be misjudged as having been a critique.

I share the fellow feeling... that the space inside will never be fully observable. The extents of space exceed all humanly possible perception. And we haven’t even mentioned the absence of things connecting the inner and outer worlds. It’s those things that really aid the complications with thought. As you’ve expressed "it’s our reality..."

Perhaps, the difference I find is in those things that anchor our realities. Those complications to thought differ because of what it’s balanced on. It causes the emotions like Anxiety, Depression and Fear. So, yes.
You are correct. It is something that one should not be inflexible about.

Although, what influences focus? What methods control the direction and clarity of focus?