Tuesday, September 18, 2007

An Open Invitation...

So far with this blog I have tried to talk about subject specific items and deal with these items in some relatively intelligent manner with the hope that I might actually say something interesting.

It's been a bit of hit and miss but overall I am happy with what I have written and discussed here. I have hoped for more response but in rereading some of the subjects, and my writing as a whole, I can see how I have not been as inviting to you readers as I should...so I would like to do that now.

I invite you to contribute to what is happening here....please...give me some topics you might like to read and have me write about. Things that interest you that I could create a dialog with. I also would invite you to respond by leaving comments on any of the topics I have already covered if you so feel inclined...as well as any of the topics upcoming....I would welcome what you have to contribute and be honored by your voice here. This includes challenges as well as support...who doesn't like a good friendly challenge? I believe this is how we learn...this is the wonderful thing about free speech...we can disagree agreeably...and hopefully learn from each other...

I will interject at this point...I do this not because I have run out of topics...far from it...but I want to be more interactive and for those that visit...make them feel welcome and part of. I know this is my blog but this is also a public forum for thoughts, ideas, and conversation. I hope that I am able to teach some, be entertaining some, and also interact some. Everything up until this point has...as it reads to me...been more from the teaching voice...I would like to keep that...but expand on it to include other things...one of them being your voice as well as mine.

I know I can be long winded and certainly can deal with topics in a heavy handed sort of way...and frankly I am OK with that and don't apologize for it...because it is part of who I am and how I write...but I do not want to alienate anyone from what I started this blog to be and that is a place to share ideas but also be an open forum for an exchange of ideas and thought. Thus the name...

So...without further dalliance...I openly invite you to participate...does anyone have a question or thought to share? You have read many of mine...what are your thoughts on the subject? What should the next subject be? What do you want to talk about? Say....hey....what's on your mind? This is after all...the thought lounge...

5 comments:

Gina said...

First of all, if I hear you correctly, you would like this to be more interactive blog yes? Well, then I ask you, dont you have to have more participants? Do you comment on other peoples blogs to have them wonder over and see what you have to say over here?I know there are many like minded thinkers, I've read them... go get em! I for one enjoy pondering, you know that.. so I go get some food, and chew it for awhile...lol
I for one would like to see this as a food for thought on hot topics.. water cooler topics... a daily read/thought on wtf is going on in the world today,your THOUGHTS on that.... and mull that around.
I am sick to death of the 1 sided blogs.. either they are extreme right, or extreme left. Is there anyone with a thought in their heads about seeing both sides of a coin? The only commonality there is consistancy. They blog alot..lol
You know that is why "THE VIEW" was so popular... many views on hot topics that was just sitting round chatting with a few million people...like real people... Too bad Barbara didnt put rosie on a shorter leash and keep it real. Good luck to you, I enjoy your blog.. I am looking forward to Walt building one, but he is very strapped for time, I know.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, for the invitation.
I'll have a go at it.
The intent is to playfully, play the role of the critic with the interest of provoking your intellect, challenging your position and raise your skill. This course of discourse, I choose is only beneficial to us both if in fact the true spirit of your invitation is in the manner of the democratic judgment. Rather than creating an oppositional attitude.

“Anchors”

I was challenged to overcome the confusion of ideas’. And statements that I, believe unintentionally insult the reader.
Or I missed the purpose of this entirely. The subjective opening was a respectable introspective story. However, the change in tone within the second paragraph is bewildering. I am still unsure if it was your attempt to present satirical write. A comically ironic Wood Allen’esk Characterization of a wax-prophetic nincompoop.

First, that "there is very little that we actually know in this life."

This remark seems to arise from a time long past. As though, you are borrowing from someone else’s idea. Not a very contemporary idea. Today, I read the distaining remark on human intellect and knowledge with wonderment. Human intellect and knowledge have progressed considerably. Having come through the age of discovery, energy and entering the information stage. Some authorities on the matter are actually calling this era we live in the "Information age". Not because of the World Wide Web or advancing forms of electronic communications. Is that what you think, “The Information Age” means?

The use of the pronoun “we” as a way to avoid a subjective tone. Was that your intent? There is a considerable amount that "we" know.
For GOD sakes man, "we" can actually measure the amount of uncertainty associated with the value of X. You down with Entropy? Ya, you know me !!
“We” can land a probe on a planet some 48 million miles at its smallest distance to our planet. And study it.


Second, that our "fallible" and "imperfect" senses cloud our perceptions.

You discredit your own assertion of uniqueness, by finding fault in the very tools with which uniqueness can be surmised. From first to last these imperfect and fallible senses provide you with an ability to conjecture. And an attempt to strengthen your position by demonstrating the limitations of human optics is by no means, defining fault with the senses. Nor backing up your claims. If you want to see farther down the railroad tracks … pick up a pair of Binoculars. ("we" discovered the limits of human optics ages ago… that’s why "we" created telescopes, micro-scopes etc...) Thank you, Galileo Galilei.
Please, read “Sensors, Filters, and the Source of Reality"
ROBERT G. JAHN AND BRENDA J. DUNNE
Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research
Princeton University
D-334 Engineering Quadrangle
School of Engineering/Applied Science
Princeton NJ 08544-5263
e-mail: rgjahn@princeton.edu; bjd@princeton.edu


Thirdly, ETHOS, PATHOS, LOGOS.

You attempt to redefine that which has already been defined with poorly contrived mixed metaphors, "Our anchors are those things which keep us grounded and balanced"
In fact, the ballast or Keel is what stabilizes a ship. Not the anchor. The anchor is to keep a ship from drifting to far from a desired location. "Grounded", is the one thing a ship never wants to be.
What do you mean, when you say; "profoundly anchored …?"
And your use of "it"… instead of they or them. "We strive to attain 'them' and then work hard at maintaining 'them' "
This would be grammatically correct. However, your meaning was lost somewhere in the continuous us of "it". Stop it !

Lastly, I am familiar with the prose "Do we not…" this and "Do we not…" that. Establish your own prose. Be unique!

You speak to human value. The value of a human. Collectively, "we" will set that price. Throughout human history, rightfully or wrongly. "We" always have made the valuation. You may personally contribute to adjusting the scale. But, "we" will never, nor have we ever allowed a single individual to establish the scale.

I know this last part was a smelly retort. I just couldn't help myself.
Best wishes, Keep it real !

Anonymous said...

TOPICS

Workplace Taboos

Knowledge as function, mechanical function, is necessary. Knowledge, in relationship, in human relationship, is destructive.

Attachment disorder

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Very interesting blog. I’d say Bloggerific!
I thought I’d share my thoughts about you views.
I am interested in your perspectives. So, here is a link to my site … http://communitygrouptherapy.spaces.live.com/

Interesting personal portfolio, do you currently teach? I’d like to read about
your insights and experiences as a teacher.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

WTF...?!